[ale] Fonts in Hardy

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 21:01:46 EDT 2008

I just built my first computer from scratch, and I'm running 64 bit Hardy on
an AMD.  Prior to today the only thing that really caused me issues was DVD
playback, but I found the answers to that with some googling.

However, I ran into something new today.  I was working on a Word doc using
OpenOffice, and I noticed that Times New Roman Bold did not look anywhere
near correct.  While the normal of Times New Roman characters looked
correct, Bold ones didn't.  So I installed the MS Core Fonts (don't recall
the package name right now), but that correct the issue.  To make matters
worse, I followed instructions I found which called for creating a .fonts
directory in my home folder and placing my other truetype fonts (and I have
over 1000 from my old MS days) there.  When I placed those and started
Writer all of the fonts appeared, but things were just wrong.  The default
font changed to something very strange, and Times New Roman (yes, that old
font again, it's required for this particular document) was now a
non-serifed font!

Any thoughts?

Thanks much,

Josh Kite