[ale] OT - car sec - Was wireless at Starbucks

Robert Reese~ ale at sixit.com
Mon Jun 9 16:51:17 EDT 2008

> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Robert Reese~ <ale at sixit.com> wrote:
>
>> True, however that still doesn't cover the reason why there
>> exists something which requires a key to begin with.  Ever wonder
>> why cars need to have keys?  They are S-O-O-O inconvenient,
>> especially when you lose them!!
>>
> I have always understood that ignition keys for autos were a safety
> interlock - to prevent the accidental starting of the engine.

There are plenty of ways to prevent the accidental starting of the engine that doesn't rely on a semi-unique cut piece of metal and/or a UID keyfob or chip in/on the key.  Otherwise, we'd all use a universal key like a straight metal flat pin (like a screwdriver).  Some folks on this list might be familiar with this alternative.  ;c)

> keys for the doors are security locks

To protect your valuables from theft (or help prevent violent crimes of opportunity when you make a *really* bad turn).

R~