[ale] wireless at Starbucks

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon Jun 9 09:53:08 EDT 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Geoffrey Myers <lists at serioustechnology.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> Once upon a time I was dead-set against this type of behaviour.  Now
>>> I am of the opinion that either the owner is allowing the activity,
>>> doesn't care, or is too lazy and/or cheap to ensure the activity
>>> doesn't occur.  This has been too much in the news to be oblivious
>>> to it.  However, if they wish to remain ignorant, they do so at
>>> their peril.  Should they not like it, then they will do something
>>> about it; part of the problem with society today is the lack of
>>> personal responsibility!
>> I would agree with you there, but if my neighbor leaves his keys in
>> his car with the door unlocked, I'm not going to take it for a spin.
>> Even if I know he's not going to be using during the time I would be
>> away.
>

> Oooh! Philosophy!
>
> There is a difference between using the car and using the wireless. With the
> car, the owner is completely deprived of his ability to use the  car. It is
> not a sharable thing in this manner.

Sure it is, if your neighbor came along for the ride. :) It's not
exactly the same, but close enough.  You could saturate the bandwidth
and therefore stop him from using his wireless network at all.

> The wireless however _is_ usable by
> both at the same time. Does it deprive the wireless owner of his use? Maybe.
> Is it proper to do so without prior permission? No.

Agreed.  So is the cable for my television, but tapping into that, I'm
pretty sure, is illegal.

> My wireless router is completely unlocked. I was the first person in my
> neighborhood to have wireless (and ISDN and DSL, and...) and I set it up so
> anyone nearby could sit outside with their laptop and the the Intertubes.
> Why? Because I can.

Mine is secured, primarily because I have a number of geeky neighborhood
kids within range and I don't want things done on my network that I
wouldn't approve.

> Now there are at least 6 WAPs near me all much faster than mine and all
> locked down. These all belong to the windows using dweebs that used to surf
> for free on my DSL line(s). My little 801.11b is still open and free. Why?
> Because I can. Turns out my freebie is easier to connect to from outside
> than their 802.11g systems are with the security keys. (I don't know why).
>
> I am contemplating putting up a tall mast on a new router and still making
> it free as well. With some cantenna toys and some geek time, I can
> coordinate with my neighbors and make a neighborhood mesh setup for
> saturated Intertube coverage. Why? Because I can!

I've actually considered doing the same, by adding another AP and
securing it from the rest of my network.  The idea was to see if I could
get to my network from the pool which is probably 1/4 mile from my
house.  My wife and the HOA would freak when they saw the antenna added
to the roof though. ;(

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin