[ale] wireless at Starbucks

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 09:49:53 EDT 2008

While riding into work a few weeks back I fired up the laptop and discovered
I really did not need my cell-phone card. All I needed to do was crank up
kismet and piggy back of the residential wireless nodes. At any given time I
could see 20+ nodes and 3-5 were unlocked.

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Geoffrey Myers <lists at serioustechnology.com>
wrote:

> I stopped in to a local Starbucks as I'm waiting while the shop works
> on my truck.  Fired up my laptop and it spotted two networks, tmobile
> and AT&T.  For grins, I selected the AT&T network, then opened up my
> browser which took me to an AT&T login page.  The page had a drop down
> box for email address domains, which included bellsouth.net.  I
> entered my bellsouth email address and password and Voila!  I'm on.  I
> guess I have some wireless access with my dsl service that I wasn't
> aware of.
>
> Anyway, I did this all under OSX, so I'm going to try it under Linux
> next. ;)
>
> --
> Later, Geoffrey

James P. Kinney III