[ale] File size

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 4 13:20:35 EDT 2008

Terry Bailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded Fedora-9-i386-DVD.iso
>
> Using direct download, the file size is:  2,758,471,516
>
> Using BitTorrent, the file size is: 3,580,680,192
>
> I am sure that both ways finished the download.  Could anyone explain
> the difference in file size and which file, if any, is the correct
> one?  I know that BitTorrent automatically does verification.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Terry Bailey

Did you use http to do the direct download?  If you did, odds are the
download didn't complete.

Just run md5sum on the iso, the one with the correct md5 code obviously
is the right/correct file.

$md5sum Fedora-9-i386-DVD.iso

This will return a string of numbers/letters that you can use to verify
the validity of the file.

The md5 sum file or value should be on the server where you got the
file.  I usually check a few other sources to make sure that the md5
code is indeed the correct.

Calvin...