[ale] Ongoing vim vs. emacs

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Jun 3 14:32:34 EDT 2008

On 06/03/2008 02:19:20 PM, Pete Hardie wrote:
> 2008/6/3 Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com>:
> > New article out about something called cream to make vim
> easier for new
> > users (maybe even the emacs folks that can't figure it
> out):
> >
> > http://www.linux-mag.com/id/6045/
> >
> > I like this from the article:
> >
> > "Vim has a tremendous amount of power, stability, and
> extensibility to offer
> > users (Emacs… ahhh, not so much)"
> >
> > Let the flames begin…
>
> Interesting.  While I'm a hardcore vi/vim fan, I've never
> seen anyone
> claim emacs was *less* powerful and extendable
> than anything else.  Emacs just lets you extend it
> yourself until
> you've overextended yourself.

This would imply emacs is similar to an infinite coil of
rope - as in "give enough rope to hang himself".

What I have to wonder is whether or not anybody has tried
taking a kernel, filesystem, and emacs and creating a lisp
machine or a general purpose computer from there.

If not, who is going to do so just to make a presentation
at an ALE meeting?? 8-)