[ale] Ubuntu kernel won't boot

Jim Philips philips_jim at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 1 09:43:37 EDT 2008

On Sunday 01 June 2008 08:45:55 am Jim Philips wrote:
> On Saturday 31 May 2008 11:47:17 am Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > 2008/5/31 Jim Philips <philips_jim at bellsouth.net>:
> > > Error 15: file not found
> >
> > Boot off live CD (if necessary) and make sure /initrd exists. ??
> >
> > > I don't understand what I'm missing. The only kernel I'm able to boot
> > > is 2.6.24-15.
> >
> > That's funny.  I don't see any 2.6.24-15 files in the data you provided.
> >
> > One other thing to check, since you can boot 2.6.24-15., try running
> > update-grub to see if it reports any errors.
> >
> > -Jim P.
>
> I ran update-grub. No errors were reported. But the 2.6.24-17 kernel still
> doesn't boot. I looked at some earlier threads on KubuntuForums. This
> problem hits people who use Adept to update. I see a variety of proposed
> solutions, but none that work in this case. I checked blkid and looked at
> menu.lst to be sure all Grub entries point to the correct volume. They do.
> So, I'm stumped.

Doh! After reading the advice from KubuntuForums to compare the output of:

sudo fdisk -lu

to the contents of:

menu.lst

I noticed that the first entry was pointing to hd0,2 and the others were
pointing to hd0,0. After I corrected that, everything worked. It's weird that
grub would automatically point to that.