[ale] Lightweight Distributions (was Getting Linux on an old laptop)

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Jan 29 14:50:22 EST 2008

Mike Harrison wrote:
>> I've got an old Win98 Toshiba satellite that I want to put Linux on,
>> but no CD ROM drive and no Internet, but I can get it to talk to an
>> old Iomega 100 MB Zip drive.  Any way to take an Ubuntu CD-ROM iso
>> image and chop it up into 100 MB chunks for copying to the laptop or
>> installing from the Zip drive?
>
> If it's an older laptop, Ubuntu might be a little heavy.
> I've re-purposed a couple of old machines wuth DSL - Dang Small Linux
> and been impressed.

DSL is quite lightweight (heck, it uses a 2.4 kernel and busybox), but
the following warning has always scared me off from installing it. "Damn
Small is not derived purely from Debian, if you 'apt-get install' the
wrong application you may break something" [1]

I haven't been very impressed with Xubuntu, the developers never seemed
to have a clear vision. Most of the "features" of the last release were
inclusions of GNOME apps. [2]

Zenwalk 5 (formerly minislack) and VectorLinux Standard Edition look
more promising as lightweight distributions [3]; does anyone here have
experience with them?

-Brian

[1] http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/dsl-hd-install.html
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GutsyGibbon/Xubuntu
[3] By lightweight, I mean suitable for a Pentium II with 128MB of RAM.
A PIII with 256MB can run the latest Ubuntu well enough for me.