[ale] Cablemodem problems, considering DSL - OT response to OT comments

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Jan 27 10:08:21 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 09:36 -0500, Horwitz International, LLC wrote:
> Also, don't forget, the DOD developed and paid for the internet with
> our tax $$ making it public domain and not your private secure
> communications highway! Once you hit send, your email becomes public -
> assume that and you'll be ok...

When the Internet was originally several different TCP/IP networks
including ARPANET and NSFNet and friends, there was no interpersonal
communications unless it had to do with something that was
Internet-related or scientific or government research related, or
whatever.  When the Internet was opened up, it was made public-domain,
sure.  But that does not give me the right to spy on your network, or
you the right to spy on mine.

We are too quick to give the government the ability to spy on us, and we
seem to forget that it's not about conspiracy or our individual
infringements.  It is about the fact that there is a document which
promises us that these things are things which we are protected against.
Of course the framers of this country could not have anticipated the
Internet---much like they could not have anticipated for cars and put
them into the legal structure.  Unfortunately, the government doesn't
get the fact that computers and technology are just like everything
else---things which people have, use, and own.

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us
cell: 678-522-7934                       im: mike at trausch.us, jabber