[ale] Cablemodem problems, considering DSL

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue Jan 22 08:36:41 EST 2008

Ken Cochran wrote:
> Summary, 2 questions:
>
> 1.  What's wrong with my cablemodem Internet service?
>
> 2.  Would the better choice for DSL be ATT/Bellsouth or HiWaay?

Can't comment on the first.

I'm one of the few here that have had good luck with BS/ATT dsl.
Outages are very rare, only 2 or 3 in 4 years.  They do block port 25,
but I can live with that.  Once in a great while their mail server go
unavailable for a period of time, maybe once every 6 months.  I suspect
that by now the Feds have figured out how to ask for no warrant taps
from anyone and require that they keep their mouths shut.  I know that's
what has happened when they go to libraries.  The libraries are
prohibited from ever divulging the  fact the feds asked for anything and
they cannot appeal to any court.  In fact just telling a lawyer about
the situation will get you jail time.  So I'm sure they have figured out
how to apply that same law to wiretaps.

Anyway back to ATT service.  The only major outage I had was when my
original Modem died.  They wanted $100 for a new one and when I
suggested to the fellow on the phone that I'd sign a 1 year service
agreement if they'd toss it in for free, he sent it to be for free but I
never saw any agreement.

I've never been a big fan of BS or ATT 'cause their service overall is
pretty shabby but they seemed to have gotten DSL right, at least on this
end of town.

Jim