[ale] Finally making progress with F8, tvtime, and sound

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun Jan 20 22:56:00 EST 2008

First, let me thank the list for putting up with my rant the other day
and not bothering with replys. I feel better now, and maybe I've got
some information which will allow getting things to work the way _I_
want them to work.

A partial recap. I have a Celeron 1.8 GHz based machine with a bt878
based TV card which was working just fine under Fedora Core 6. Of
course, FC6 is EOL, so I installed F8, which killed the TV sound track.
(I was also having challenges with other sound sources, but let that
ride for the time being.)

With little to lose, and frustration hitting the hot button, I tried
the following alternatives: Knoppix 5.1, Ubuntu 7.10, CentOS 5.1 and
Fedora 7 all with similar complete lack of sucess. Pleanty of time
spent with Google also here, thinking that there was a driver issue or
something.

Today I finally had a tiny brainstorm (it hurt). Since the TV card has
an audio out plug - why not disconnect the internal connection between
the TV card and the sound card, and just hook a pair of speakers up???
Too obvious, but that provides the sound from the TV card. So at least
I have a work around, even if having two sets of speakers running has a
significant impact on that desk area.

Now what I would like to be able to do is discover how to get the old
setup running again. That is, connect the TV card internally with the
internal aux2 plug of my sound card and have that connection work, and
be controllable. I'm at a loss how to Google that setup, so I'd really
like to borry a clue from somebody here.

Thanks  to one and all for the use of the bandwidth.