[ale] Fedora 6 install media

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Jan 20 11:20:34 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 23:42 -0500, Pete Hardie wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2008 11:00 PM, James P. Kinney III
> <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
> > Look at CentOS 5 as it has much in common with Fedora 5/6.

> Its gotta be one of the linux distros supported by the utility -
> Fedora, RedHat Enterprise, or Suse are all
> that the program is spec'd for.

	If it's something like Scalix where they actually check the distro and
refuse to unpack if it's not one of the officially sanctioned ones, it's
trivial to bypass.  All you have to do is update /etc/redhat-release to
the correct string for RHEL-5 and install your package.  Then change it
back.

> I've got FC6 isos just finished downloading, so thanks again toall for the help.

	CentOS 5 maps to RHEL 5 and is based on Fedora Core 6.  Fedora Core 6
is EOL and no longer supported.  CentOS 5 will be supported for years.
If the package supports RHEL 5, it can be made to install on CentOS 5.

	Mike