[ale] $1B for MySQL !!!

Sid Lane jakes.dad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 18:45:32 EST 2008

FWIW, you're pretty close - the website is ~95% MySQL at this point and the
remaining 5% (Oracle 10) would be if not for developer bandwidth (i.e.
MySQL-ifying existing classes != new content -> != new ad sales -> !=
developer/qa time).  we also have several back-office apps running various
versions of Oracle (8.1 - 10), MySQL (one's still 3.23 for vendor support -
don't ask...) and SQL/Server (not by my choice).  I covered all this in the
MySQL replication presentation I did a couple of yrs ago...

the "channel" side is (to my knowledge) still pretty much all Oracle w/some
3rd party SQL/Server apps as well (no MySQL I'm aware of) but as your friend
said we operate almost completely independently of each other (internal
political stuff I'd get in trouble for discussing not to mention boring you
to death...)

I don't think any company uses only one database vendor exclusively unless
they're a clueless windoze shop.

now you know and that's 1/2 the battle...