[ale] $1B for MySQL !!!

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Fri Jan 18 08:26:33 EST 2008

> You forgot about PostgreSQL... :-)

vacuum analyze.

PostgreSQL is more of a real database engine ala Sybase, Oracle
etc.. than MySQL, and takes a little more time and thought to work with.
MySQL's power is it's simplicity for basic web-apps, it just happens
to (currently, did not always) scale really really well.

And PHP and MySQL just work so darn well together out of the box.
I know it'll work with PostgreSQL, and I should probably try it again.
Many moons ago I used Perl and PostgreSQL a lot, and it was "rocket
science" getting them to talk to each other and Apache. Guess it just left
a bad taste in my mouth.

> to the other, especially for applications that do not use a database
> abstraction layer of one form or another, and simply call the database
> directly.

Which I really, REALLY should be doing more of. I normally hate
abstraction layers, one more layer of code for things to break in
or troubleshoot, But it sure helps when the client says:
We're using PostgreSQL, or DB2 or..