[ale] DNAT/SNAT for VMware WinXP Guest?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Tue Jan 8 10:04:20 EST 2008

I'm in a network environment where the Ethernet switch won't accept
having more than one MAC address appearing on a single drop.  This means
that putting an Ethernet switch on a drop in order to hook up more than
one machine per drop won't work.

This also breaks VMware guests when bridged networking is used for the
VMware guest.  NAT for the VMware guest *does* work, but if you need
Windows networking stuff (shares, logins, etc) like a WinXP guest would,
it won't work through NAT.

I've been told that if I use host-only networking on the VMware guest -
and I've gotten it to work such that the host's VMware-generated
"vmnet1" interface and the WinXP guest can see each other - I could use
DNAT and possibly also SNAT to pass traffic from vmnet1 to an extra NIC
in the host, eth2, and cable eth2 to a separate drop.  Windows
authentication, network browsing, etc. should then work.  I understand
that I would have to remove anything from the routing table that would
involve eth2, basically "disconnecting" it from the host OS.

Is this at all possible?  If so, what would the iptables invocation look
like?