[ale] OLPC.. Wow.

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Wed Jan 2 22:13:41 EST 2008

The OLPC arrived today. In about two hours of using it:

  0. Amazing LCD display.

  1, It's cute.

  2. My fingers are a little two big, but if I were a kid it'd be perfect.

  3. Wifi works better after you read:
     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wireless
     And set your AP to Channel 1, 11 or 6

  4a. The web browser doesn't support Basic/Digest Auth
     or it's the first web browser to not work on my
     implementations of it in PHP on some sites.

  4b. Web browser does not have all character sets for UTF-8.
     For example: No Traditional Chinese. But it's working with Spanish
     French and German. - I'm working on some multi-lingual websites..
     just testing things.

  5. Lots of features and software specific to using in a
     school/instructional environment. Sugar is a little odd
     of an interface, but I am glad it breaks the MS-Start Button
     paradigm and seems to work well once I figured it out
     (10 minutes of unlearning.. 2 minutes of learning).

  6. I wish my HP laptops were build as solidly feeling,
     Especially that wonder-screen-hinge.

  7. Terminal and SSH works. Way Kewl.

Overall, thinking about what it was/is designed for:
I'd say it's an amazing piece of hardware and software
for a 1.0 product. Most amazing $200 of technology
I have seen ( yeah, I know I paid $400 ).