[ale] Checking photo frames for Windows malware

Patrick Bartkus patrckb+ale at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 10:51:50 EST 2008

Yesterday Ars Technica reported about more digital picture frames infecting
Windows computers with malware.

See:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081229-walmart-amazon-bundle-malware-with-holiday-cheer.html
or http://tinyurl.com/a8mlzh

One of the links in the article (http://tinyurl.com/2m7ot7) takes you to a
San Francisco Chronicle article from Feb 15, 2008.

The SFGate article reports that "Deborah Hale at SANS suggested that PC
users find friends with Macintosh or Linux machines and have them check for
malware before plugging any device into a PC."

My questions is - how could this be done? Could I boot with a Live CD and
then plugin and scan a USB picture frame for malware?

Patrick