[ale] Partitioning Problems

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 08:42:29 EST 2008

Hey Mike!

DOSemu seems to run ANYTHING I've thrown at it. FreeDOS is a terrific body
of code. So much so that several name brand PC makers offer theirs blank
with FreeDOS installed instead of blunders.

Show GRAMPS to your dad. Native Linux geneology application. Data
export/import may be an issue, though. I don't know. My mom is the
geneologist and other than doing graveyard headstone rubbings as kid, I have
avoided that field.

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Mike Harrison <meuon at geeklabs.com> wrote:

> > the reserved partition. I have always had to  make a winders partition,
> > leave the rest of the drive unpartitioned, install blunders, _then_ do
> the
> > Linux work and partition the remaining drive portion. Otherwise it seems
> the
>
> I've watched people do black magic with partitions and seen it done
> otherwise. I remember at some point they did a lot of registry edits
> to get blunders back in it's happy place. But personally, I've only been
> able to get it to work the same way you have.
>
> My Dad just brought me his top of the line Dell from 2 years ago..
> Blunders and some crapware are fighting over his machine. He's been using
> some odder software that would not work under Blunders. he bought a new
> computer because he got tired of re-installing Blunders XP to fix whatever
> it was that goes wrong.
>
> My weekend mission: Get his old DOS accounting system and WinXP geneology
> software running under DosEMU and Wine in Linux. Last month I got some old
> Paradox 4.0 code running under DosEMU in Linux. So I think it'll work
> well.
>
> Which leaves us with: Soon the question may be: Why run Windows at all?

James P. Kinney III