[ale] Partitioning Problems

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sat Dec 27 08:28:18 EST 2008

Geoffrey wrote:
> Jim Lynch wrote:
>
>> Andrew Grieser wrote:

>>> This worked. Thanks.
>>>
>>> Now that I think about it, that must be how I did it last time too.
>>>

>>> I'm thinking about installing windows on a separate hard drive, and
>>> then just swapping out drives on the rare occasions when I need it.
>>> That way, if windows decides to mess things up, it can only mess up
>>> itself.
>>>
>>> Andrew
>>>

>> I've been dual booting Linux and windows since Win 95 (maybe before).
>>  Never had windows cause a problem with a Linux partition.
>> Personally I don't think it's worth the effort.  It's always been
>> suggested that you install Windows first and then Linux.  I've done
>> the reverse and gotten away with it sometimes, and sometimes not.
>>

> My experiences with dual boots are the same.  I've never had Windows
> cause a problem with my Linux partitions.
>
> If you install linux, then Windows, windows will trash your grub/lilo
> and you will have to boot from a rescue disk to recover your dual boot
> ability.
>
> It works, as I've taken this approach before, but it's a pain in the butt.

Rather than swap disks, which would become a royal pain in the lower
regions, buy yourself one of the USB or Firewire (if your computer
supports it) external hard drives and back up your important Linux data
periodically, which probably means your home directory and any special
configurations in /etc.  That's a lot simpler and less troublesome than
swapping disk drives even with a caddy.  If you value your data, you'll
want to do that anyway, even if you go the disk swap route.  You can
backup both your Windows and Linux data at one time, too.  Unless you're
a lot better organized than I am, it'll be more difficult to isolate
important data on Windows.

Jim.

Jim.