[ale] Linux supported air card works!

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Dec 26 21:02:57 EST 2008

I have been using a Verizon aircard for a while now with mixed results.
It suffered from frequent disconnects, poor performance and occasional
drops.  While it wasn't great, it worked better than nothing.  A couple
of months ago I was speaking with a customer service rep about my
frustration with the frequently disconnects and she suggested I sign up
for the "Broadband" service which was faster and didn't cost any more.
Oh and incidentally I could get a new pcmcia aircard which would take
advantage of the faster service if I wanted.  I was unimpressed with the
new "Broadband" service I upgraded to wrt speed, bit it was a bit more
reliable, not a lot however.

I recently traveled to Orlando and found I had left the aircard at
home.  I needed internet access while there and decided to check out the
new aircard the lady mentioned.  I went to a Verizon store and talked
with the guy there.  English was his second language, as it was for all
the clerks in that store (Kissimmee).  I was the only one speaking
English in the entire place.  But I regress.

So he didn't seem to think that I'd see much improvement in speed and
asked another clerk about it and they agreed.  They said something about
Rev A being a bit faster.  I have no idea what Rev A is.

But since I needed access and the cost was $50 with a $50 rebate for an
extended 2 year contract, I decided that wasn't a problem.

I have to tell you that was the best $50/2 year commitment I ever made.
I was able to connect and communicate at very respectable speeds all
week with no drops, no problems what so ever.

I subsequently took the laptop to my boat which is located at a marina
on St. Simons Island and where communications is usually seriously
compromised.  It again performed flawlessly and with far better speed
than at any time before.  Nary a disconnect.

As  a note,  I chose Verizon for both my wireless data connection and my
cell phone provider because I do use the boat to cruise up and down the
coast.  Cruisers in that area report that Verizon has the best coverage
of that area.  I don't necessarily think their customer service is
exceptional or even very good.  But coverage is pretty important, IMHO.
I do have both VHF and HF onboard so I have multiple communications
backup, but safety at sea can never be too much.

Oh and thanks to (I think) Jim Kinney for the original pointer to the
wvdial parameters that made it work on Linux.

Jim.