[ale] OT: osol CD won't boot

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Fri Dec 26 09:08:31 EST 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> Try reburning the CD and turn the burn speed down to the slowest
> setting. The cd drive may be having issues reading the disk. I have seen
> this with older drives no liking a CD burned at high speeds. The drive I
> burned in was used to verify the disk checksum but the target drive was
> very unhappy. Ran the burn speed to 2x and all went fine.
>
> I seem to recall this a media problem and not really an old drive problem.
>
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net
> <mailto:hscast at charter.net>> wrote:
>
>     Okay maybe way off topic, but I'm not sure what's happening and I
>     haven't been able to get an answer at OpenSolaris.org. I have been
>     playing around with opensolaris 200811 on virtualbox. the image file as
>     well as a cd burned with the image will boot in a VM. The problem I have
>     is that when I try to boot on the actual physical machine I get know
>     where, just a GRUB> prompt. When I manually step through the process,
>     I'll get Error 25: Disk read error. I have just tried it on another
>     system and it'll boot fine. The HCL has mention of a MoBo similar to
>     mine as working, what else could be interfering with it?
>
>     TIA
>     Scott

> James P. Kinney III

The burner is a new one, I had burned 3 different CDs using 3 different
apps, at near the slowest burn speed. I've always had a habit of doing
slow burns. The same CDs on the same drive works in a VM on Virtualbox,
so I think that rules out the CD and the drive. I beleive the difference
is that in the VM it more than likely presents a different BIOS an MoBO
even though it uses my physical processor as is, and possibly memory as
is. I'm beginnig to think that it maybe a BIOS issue or the physical
chipset. Although I have seen a similar Gigabyte MoBo on their HCL. I
believe the closest chipset was a 790X/SB600 and mine is a 790FX/SB600,
I can't seem to find what difference the F makes.