[ale] Web server OS

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed Dec 24 09:58:19 EST 2008

First, there's no specific distinction between "updates" and "security
updates" under Gentoo.  There are security advisories that are issued
for Gentoo packages regularly, but the solution is simply one of
updating even if it's from 1.2.3 to 1.2.3-r1 (where the -rX) signifies a
within-version change made downstream from the original code by Gentoo
package maintainers.  Under Gentoo, the package management is more of a
distributed human effort that's under central oversight.

As for "z years," I guess it's one of those things like any other
community-based effort - when interest is lost or if the effort is
overcome by events (say, the advent of the HAL 9000), the effort will
stop.  Someday all of Linux will land in the dustbin.

You might want to look through gentoo.org yourself - specifically the
Social Contract (derived from Debian's) and Philosophy pages.

What I have found, having dealt with both Red Hat, its derivatives, and
Gentoo for several years, is that when I establish a Gentoo machine it's
for a larger purpose and once the machine's established, the
distribution gets out of my way and lets me focus on what I was going to
use it for; the computer and its OS become infrastructure.  Now, this is
just me and my sensibilities I'm talking about here; other people may
find their stride elsewhere.  Part of the whole point of using Open
Source software is finding and developing your own strengths as an
individual and being able to pick and choose what you use for what and
how you use it is just part of that process.

- Jeff