[ale] I've hit a rough wall, installin' Smoothwall :-)

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Wed Dec 24 11:46:22 EST 2008

Trying to figure out the ins & outs of Bellsouth's/AT&T's DSL
gateway/modem setup:

If you configure for IP Passthrough & thus expose the LAN
side of the DSL modem/gateway to non-private IP address space,
does that also deactivate the device's builtin PPPo{E,A} signon
support, thus requiring that on the "inside?"  I would think,
too, that this undoes the "double NAT" situation?

Any recommendations for/against various makes/models of these
DSL devices?

Last I remember, BS/ATT supplies a Westel by default(?);
has that changed?

What might be some "better" choices?  ("Better" = maybe better
impaired-line performance, features, etc.)

FAQ/doc pointers and/or FMs for RT are quite welcome of course.  :)

-kc