[ale] I've hit a rough wall, installin' Smoothwall :-)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 10:07:47 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 7:13 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com>wrote:

> > modem <------> wireless router <-------> hub <---------> SmoothWall
> ethernet
> > NIC [Green]
> >                                   ^
> >                   SmoothWall NIC [Red]
>
> This makes no sense. I think the wrapping screwed up your diagram.  Just
> the same, I'd put the smoothie between the modem and the wireless router.
>
> Yes. The wrap moved NIC [Green] from the Smoothwall ethernet line.

I recall smoothwall has a 3 NIC variant. I suggest adding a third NIC and
put the wireless on that one.

modem -- [red] SW [green] -- internal LAN
                         [orange]

                      wireless router WAN port

Use SW capabilities for a DMZ to isolate the wireless off the LAN. Use a
seperate IP space for dhcp on the wireless.

James P. Kinney III