[ale] Web server OS

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 23:35:27 EST 2008

2008/12/22 Joshua Kite <jwkite at gmail.com>

> I'll second the Ubuntu recommendation.  However, if you are truly a total
> and complete noob and you like a GUI, then there's nothing wrong with
> installing the desktop version rather than the server one.  You can still
> get to it via SSH, just like the Server version, but you also have the
> option of using VNC or X (I've used Cygwin-X very nicely to have access to
> my server and linux aps from a windoze machine) to maintain the server, as
> well.
>
> Nothing against any of the other distrubitions out there, but Ubuntu seems
> to have a lot of momentum right now, which means that there are plenty of
> active forums for answering your questions.  I find most of my solutions by
> googling "<topic> ubuntu" rather than "<topic> linux" because it narrows
> down the possible answers, which is good for a hack like me.
>
> The desktop suggestion assumes that you're not going to do anything to tax
> the machine (basic low-volume wordpress, etc.) and that it's a realtively
> modern machine.  If your "new" computer is a Pentium II or something, then
> that's a whole 'nother ballgame.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Josh Kite
>
> 2008/12/22 Brian Schenken <brian.schenken at gmail.com>
>
>> I'd go for Ubuntu server install.  Easy to maintain - wordpress is even a
>> package.
>>

>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WordPress
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Jon Reagan <jreagan1990 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> hey folks... got a quick question.
>>>
>>> I have a new computer that I will be using as a web server.  From past
>>> experience, I know that the computer does not have any hardware that
>>> presents compatibility issues.  So, with this in mind, which system
>>> would y'all recommend for a complete noob looking to set up a
>>> wordpress blog?
>>>
>>> I have been using Ubuntu, as well as Fedora and Debian... but I am not
>>> sure which is best (or rather, easiest) for me to use.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Jon

Really Josh?  I didn't know the server versions didn't have a GUI?  In that
case I second any distro that has a GUI... all the services are the same.  I
also agree with Josh on the momentum.  Ubuntu has a lot right now.

--
Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.."
-Rev1:4
"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide!" -Marc F.