[ale] I've hit a rough wall, installin' Smoothwall :-)

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon Dec 22 07:57:37 EST 2008

Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Season's Greetings  !

> My current dilemma is............
>
> Accessing the web, I can NOW either have,
>     a Smoothwall firewall box with NICs,
>         OR
>             a Windows box with a wireless card,
> but not both simultaneously.

> The setup for the Smoothwall box's web access [see Next Hyphenated section]
> is RED & GREEN,
> i.e. has two NICs connected to the wireless router's ethernet ports.
>
> For the Windows box to succeed in web access is to unplug Smoothwall's
> ethernet cables from the
> wireless router, else they fail to connect.

I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to do.  Here is my setup and it
works great:

internet <-> smoothwall <-> switch <-> wireless router

All my wireless stuff connects via the wireless router and get dhcp info
from smoothwall.  All my wired stuff is connected to the switch directly.

I accomplish this by turning off nat on my linksys router, and all works
fine.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin