[ale] Can LN Erase Data?

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 16:55:48 EST 2008

Hi,

I would like to know if the "ln" command can erase data?  I did a fresh
install of Fedora 10 and I wanted to link my "download", "documents",
"music", etc folders in my /home directory to my second partition.  I forgot
about symbolic links and I did this first:

*$ ln /media/DATA/Documents /home/marc/*

It gave me a particular message, I forget what it was... it didn't seem
threatening at the time.  I saw that it didn't work so I did the symbolic
link and that worked fine.

*$ ln -s /media/DATA/Documents /home/marc*

So; that worked, but when I opened the documents folder all the files in
there were gone.  Did I do something wrong?

--
Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.."
-Rev1:4
"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide!" -Marc F.