[ale] Troubleshooting Audio?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 13:30:39 EST 2008

pulseaudio is the standard for the rpm world as well.

esound was a really cool idea (use network concepts to pump sound bits
anywhere AND multiple inputs for single outputs OR multi-in for multi-out)
but it was no longer support by the upstream author(s).

pulseaudio is a sound data transport mechanism.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com>wrote:

> On Thu December 18 2008, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> > OK, I can do that.  In the mean time.  What is the situation with audio
> in
> > Linux?  Is PulseAudio the wave of the future... the standard?  What's
> ALSA
> > and some of the other options I see in my Sound Settings?  Either way,
> > sounds seems to be very single-threaded and I' confused by that!  Thanks.
>
> I think pulseaudio replaced Alsa for Ubuntu.. I'm runnung Debian Lenny and
> still running alsa, so I have no clue how to configue pulseaudio.. my
> laptop
> may have it, but I never listen to music on my laptop.. it's FOR WORK :)
>
> see:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio
> It's a drop in replacement for EsounD. PulseAudio is the standard sound
> server
> in Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04.
>
> --
> Paul Cartwright