[ale] Bluescreen on Windows Client thru VirtualBox

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Dec 17 20:56:31 EST 2008

	:

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 18:43 -0500, Marc Ferguson wrote:

> Ok so, I'm in front of my computer now.  I'm running
> VirtualBox-2.0.6_39765_fedora9-1.x86_64.  The error is:

> A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
> damage to your computer.

> I stopped typing and took a screen shot of the window.  It's attached.

	I'm working from memory here and I don't have any references at hand
but I believe that there are some known problems with Windows and the
ACPI drivers between the Intel and AMD versions that have shown up like
this.  By default, both drivers are loaded and, most of the time, it
works.  Under certain conditions, which seem to be aggravated by
virtualization, however, the Intel driver (IIRC) running in an AMD
environment bluescreens.  I remember reading about this in one of the
VirtualBox forums describing migration (which is not the case here).
The updated version of VirtualBox may have triggered this.  There are
some pretty serious differences between the 1.x VirtualBox and the 2.x
VirtualBox.  You may have to go in and remove a bad driver.  Search the
virtual box forums for virtual machine migration and you may find
something.

> --
> Marc F.
> www.fergytech.com
>
> "When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide!"

	Mike