[ale] shell question

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Dec 12 00:40:17 EST 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:10:46 -0500
"J. D." <jdonline at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/12/11 Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>
> > This is a historical feature of terminals, known as soft flow
> > control. One would often use it on a very slow serial terminal
> > connection to perform manual pagination of sorts.
>
> I see. That makes sense. I guess we use pagers for that now.

Pretty much.  Unless people out there still regularly use 300 bps
modems to communicate somewhere... <g>

> > Some software that runs in the terminal (such as Emacs) overrides
> > that behavior, since Emacs uses both C-s and C-q key combinations.
> > I am relatively certain that means that there is a way to disable it
> > generally, but it's never been a problem for me so I don't know what
> > the process for that would be.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I use ctrl-d quite a bit and occasionally
> it becomes ctrl-s due to typo.

I've done that myself.  And I should have done it enough times to
recognize when I do it by now, but sometimes still I go "why the hell
is my terminal hung‽"

> Great presentation on DR by the way. I just read over it. Thanks
> for the link.

I can't take credit for that, that wasn't me.  :)

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
http://www.trausch.us/