[ale] a specter is haunting our school systems!

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Dec 11 09:38:36 EST 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Geoffrey wrote:

> tom wrote:

>>> The reality is that "concerned" is more likely to be less on that
>>> teachers agenda than "making ends meet".  If that teacher made more $,
>>> then they would have more time to have a more open mind.   As it is
>>> today, teachers can barely make ends meet, so they take all the
>>> talking points and assistance they can get.   Free the teachers so
>>> they can free your kids' minds. ;-)
>>>
>> Well, I'm not really going to disagree that strongly, but getting the work
>> load down might have a more positive effect. Spend 10 hours a day trying
>> to be smarter than a bunch of kids, and you will be too tired to actually
>> be learning new tech stuff yourself.
>
> You underestimate the time spent, but it's more accurate then most folks
> know.

I know that I underestimated the time spent by our better teachers.

>> Well, that and I'm not entirely sure that many of them would care even if
>> they were less stretched. Most of us go through life working on sound
>> bites and blinkered minds. After all, it is easier.
>
> If parents would do THEIR JOB, the teachers could focus on teaching.
> Instead, the teachers are busy being parent, nurse, psychologist, and
> document processor.  What little time is left, they teach.

I'll stand behind what I said before, as I have some experience on both
sides. Both parents were teachers, a brother teaches, a sister-in-law
taught before becoming a principle (now retired), one daughter is
teaching, and I'm enjoying an adjunct gig myself. Of four children, two
got labeled gifted, and two got handed learning disablility labels. (Which
is better than one friend. Of her four, all four managed to be certified
advanced and gifted in addition to learning disabilities.)

I'm not so bold as to claim inerrant truth. My experience suggests to me
that many educators are not open minded searchers for truth, justice,
apple pie, etc ad nauseum. Teachers are drawn from the general culture,
and largely reflect that culture. And then they are placed under the thumb
of lawyers, paper pushers, and politicians with orders to do and excellent
job.

I'll leave off picking on lawyers for now. The profession may be
necessary, and I beleive that it is, but I don't think that they help the
cause of education.

The paper pushers appear to collect from the ranks of teachers who cann't
teach, so they get sent downtown to get them away from students. (Obvious
over simplification here.) But these people take up resources, come up
with unfundable brilliant ideas which get passed out to the troops without
any training, and often get in the way. These are the people who decide
that new laptops will be a wonderful tool, and utterly forget to arrainge
meaningful levels of training, or even any time to fiddle and self teach.

The less said about many school boards the better.  These people are
elected to look after the public business, but they often come with
popular adgendas which have nothing to do with education, or are
incompatible with education. Plus they get points for cutting limited
resources in the name of budget balancing, usually at the classroom level
it seems.

I will conceed part of the point that parents need to parent their little
darlings better. I will even accept that I should have done a better job
with my four. I strongly disagree that parental involvement is "the key".
Partly because I've listened to that complaint for at least the last 40
years and nothing changes.

My appologies to the innocent of the list. I appreciate the gift of your
bandwidth.