[ale] M$ refund

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Dec 4 12:25:42 EST 2008

Sued even...

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of Jeff
Lightner
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 12:08 PM
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: Re: [ale] M$ refund

Actually superlatives like "best" are not illegal to use under Fair
Trade practices because they are not quantifiable.   It is illegal to
say something like "4 out of 5 dentists prefer Colgate to Crest" but
quite legal to say "4 out of 5 dentists surveyed prefer Colgate to
Crest" even if you skewed the survey by choosing dentists that were
ordering your toothpastes samples at a high rate.   However it would not
be illegal to say "Colgate is the greatest toothpaste ever" even if
you'd done a survey where 5 out of 5 dentists said "Colgate rots your
teeth and only a moron would use it".

Of course if your teeth rotted out and you sewed Colgate-Palmolive and
found the above survey results during discovery I daresay you (or at
least your lawyers) would become quite wealthy.