[ale] perl question with email addresses

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Dec 1 15:42:19 EST 2008

In laws are more fun than Ale?

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of Mike
Fletcher
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 3:32 PM
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: Re: [ale] perl question with email addresses

Geoffrey wrote:
> I know that when you specify an email address in perl you have to
escape
> the @ as in:
>
> $email = "who\@where.com";
>
> My problem is, I've got a cgi perl script that is being passed an
email
> address of the form:  "who at where.com"
>
> For the life of me, I can't figure out how to convert this to
> "who\@where.com"

Seeing as this was already not the problem I'll just comment for
completeness' sake.

The backwhacking of the @ is only necessary in double quoted ("", qq{})
strings because otherwise Perl would attempt to interpolate the contents

of an array named "@where".  If you have a piece of data that's come
from another source (e.g. a form submission) the backslash isn't needed
as it's not going to be processed by Perl again (unless you of course
run it through some form of eval :).

An alternative if you don't need to interpolate anything else is to use
a quotelike operator which doesn't do interpolation ('who at where.com' or
q{who at where.com} for example).

> Fletch where are you buddy??? :)

In Florida at the inlaws not checking my list mailbox . . . :)