[ale] locale settings

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 07:27:33 EDT 2008

2008/8/27 Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>

> On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 22:05 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > Be aware that perls CPAN breaks with anything but LANG=C
> > RedHat derivatives set LANG=en_US.utf8 which causes misery on CPAN.
>
> Why in the world would it do that?  Isn't the C locale simply the 7-bit
> ASCII standard?  en_US.UTF-8 is backwards compatible with that, given
> that the first 127 characters are identical (and everything else over
> the top is, of course, represented outside of that set)... so wouldn't
> that be a bug?

I also think it's a bug but I have not looked into it further. What happens
is during the module config it will error out (I don't l the error but it is
always the same and module independent). Exit CPAN, set LANG=C and it all
works fine.
I have not tested this since around mid-2007 so it may be cleaned up.

>        --- Mike
>
> --
> My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.

James P. Kinney III