[ale] Top things to know to master Linux?

Richard Lyon ale at gutcup.com
Tue Aug 26 16:54:26 EDT 2008

Greetings all,

First, thanks for telling me how to view all the timestamps for a
file, and recommendations on USB enclosures.

Now, what do you think should be mastered, or at least known, to
"master" Linux?

I'm a relative linux newbie, working toward LPIC Linux certification.
I'm working hard to make sure that I'm not paper certified, but
actually have some idea of what I'm talking about. I've got 12 years
or so experience with Windows, some Netware. So I actually have some
decent degree of computer knowledge. I was burnt out for quite a few
years of that though, so I don't know as much as I should. Though, I
have to say, I'm greatly enjoying Linux. Right now I've gotten a bit
sidetracked into the wonderful world of Vim - that is a hella
powerful, very cool piece of software. You can even customize firefox
with a plugin so that it acts like Vim!

  http://vimperator.mozdev.org/

Anyway, enough off topic stuff. I've got all the IBM developerwork
study guides for the tests, and the O'Reilly study guide which is so
highly recommended. I've got a powerbook with a couple of Linux
virtual machines to play with, and a laptop I've installed OpenSuse
on. What, in your mind, is essential to study?

Thanks!

Richard

[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude]