[ale] Is "9" the latest & recommended version of Fedora Server ?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 15:19:38 EDT 2008

CentOS has a 7 year lifetime for security and bug fixes. Fedora has a 2
releases lifetime about 1 year total).

The latest and greatest CentOS is 5.2 (with 5.3 in the beta cooker right
now). It tracks RedHat EL releases very closely.  I currently have system
deployed that have Centos 4.4-5.2 and they all have updateable support
features (i.e.- yum update will do what it's supposed to do).

There is a 32-bit i386  and 64-bit x86_64 version that will run just fine on
a AMD64 dual processor system. If you have 4GB RAM or less, the 32-bit is
fine. If the RAM is bigger or the data sets being crunched are larger, the
64-bit version will work fine.

2008/8/24 Courtney Thomas <courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net>

>  Jim,
>
> First, thank you.
>
> Why does CentOS NOT require "total OS upgrades" ?
>
> What incarnation of CentOS do you recommend ?
>
> Does all this matter if I run under an AMD64 dual processor ?
>
> Appreciatively,
>
> Courtney

James P. Kinney III