[ale] Fedora 9 64 bit

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Aug 22 09:40:31 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 00:36 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> No point in 64 bit unless you have more than 4 GB RAM.

Strange that I didn't think of this before, but if you want more than 4
GB total process space (say, you only have 1 GB of RAM, and need to
do---though not often, of course---some high-end number-crunching or
massive data manipulation), you can always have a massively huge swap
file or partition and then your process can use that.  It'd be better to
use something faster than a hard disk for such swap space, if at all
possible, but you can do it that way, albeit a bit more slowly.

It is also seemingly possible to add very fast swap space to your
system---use what your video card isn't using [1].  I haven't tried
that, but it seems like an interesting idea.

	--- Mike

[1] http://tinyurl.com/4xaf43

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.