[ale] Removing unwanted tasks from SuSE/KDE desktop startup

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Wed Aug 20 11:33:11 EDT 2008

If you run kcontrol|KDE Components|Session Manager (openSUSE 10.3, but I think 10.1 is the same...), there is a selection for "Restore previous session" in the "On Login" sections.
If you change this to "Start with empty session" it should keep it from running programs that were active from the previous session.
-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

>>> John Mills <johnmills at speakeasy.net> 8/20/2008 09:25 AM >>>
ALErs -

Following my thread on VNC window management and pagers, I started a
'tightVnx' window with 'fvwm2'. It looked fine and I left it running. Now
when I log in to my native SuSE-10.1/KDE desktop on that same machine I
see vestiges of the VNC session: an extra console and a 'desktop pager'.

Just what I wanted on the VNC screen, but strange and not very
welcoming when sprung on me on 'X0'.

These artifacts have survived multiple logins and one restart!

How can I set or reset what particular apps run when I start my local
X11 session? I would like to keep most of my present setup, but I could
launder it and start over if necessary.

TIA.

  - Mills