[ale] Major Hdwe upgrade foils LVM

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Mon Aug 18 17:38:06 EDT 2008

JK wrote:
> hscast at charter.net wrote:
>
>> ---- Jim Popovitch <yahoo at jimpop.com> wrote:

>>> Does the Fedora 9 kernel support Large Memory?   IIRC, 4GB of mem
>>> needs a non-standard kernel.
>>>

>> I thought it did. Doesn't it look at 4GB on a double core processor
>> as 2GB/core?
>>

> No, on SMP all CPUs have access to all RAM. The main difference
> between an SMP system and a single-CPU system is that the SMP box can
> run multiple processes literally simultaneously, instead of only faking
> simultaneity via context-switching.  Naturally that has an impact
> on the kernel, but it's invisible to users, and doesn't affect
> how userland code sees memory.
>
> -- JK

I must have misunderstood something that I read in the past, but anyway,
I finally got it going less one stick of ram. Need to go back to Fry's
for another exchange. Everything seems to work except the sound really
sucks. It sounds like a bad scifi movie special sound effects. The MoBo
is the Gigabyte GA-M750SLI-DS4 based on the Nvidia Nforce 750a SLI
chipset. I have tried searching for any answers to this, it's beginning
to look like an unsupported issue in Linux. I actually bought this board
by mistake, I was looking for another board but when I got there I could
not remember whether it was an ASUS, Gigabyte or something else. Should
have written it down. Just took the word of the sales guy at Fry's, oh
yeah it's 100% supported by Linux. Now it would be a real PITA to change
it out with this monster CPU fan and goop on the chip. So if no one has
any ideas on this I may just go and get an add on sound card and disable
the onboard. Any suggestions on as add on card if there isn't any
solution for the onboard?