[ale] 300,000 failed login attempts in 6 months!!!

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 17:21:21 EDT 2008

I like this approach as it's FAST to lock out an intruder attack. I am
curious as to the resources used to maintain this process. So each
connection must be kept in memory for the time specified by --seconds plus a
counter plus a "next allowed time to connect". Ok so that's not a lot of
data, 32 bits IP, 8 bits counter, 8 bits next date = 48 bits to track is
really nothing (Hey! I've got 4GB RAM. I gave up on the 640k a LONG time
ago:-) unless it's several thousand connections each second that are
legitimate with a <<1% crap rate. But even then the data expires after
--seconds has elapsed. There is some build-up/tear-down overhead on
processing the data table but it won't be heavy. Probably a hash table so
it's light and fast.

Hmm. So some uses of the userspace module in iptables along these lines
could be to take the now blocked IP address and squirt it into a userland
app that does a look up and logs the problem and tracks attempts for further
study and posible prosecution/retaliation.

James P. Kinney III