[ale] Major Hdwe upgrade foils LVM

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 22:33:23 EDT 2008

Ditto. If memtest+ shows errors, the ram has issues. If I get a new dimm and
it flunks memtest, I get it replaced immediately. It won't get better, only
worse, with age (and heat).

Since you pulled one dimm and it stink puked, swap the pulled for the in
place and try again. Run memtest on the smallest amount of new ram you can
use to isolate the error dimm. If the problem persistes at the same test
point for BOTH dimms, the chipset is bad and you need a new mobo. AMD 64 x2
is probably not an Opteron but an consumer grade chip without the on chip
memory management. HOWEVER! Double check the heat sink on the cpu. If the
cpu overheats on boot it can fail at about the same point each time as
that's it's heat saturation point.

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:

> Memtest errors are a *strong* indication that you have bad RAM. Trying
> to solve any other problems is likely a pointless exercise in
> frustration while this is the case.
>
> This doesn't mean you have to throw the RAM out. If there are only a few
> problem areas you can disable them using memmap [0]. An explanation of
> how to do this is available here [1]; googling memmap "bad ram" should
> turn up more relevant discussion.
>
> [0]
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
> [1]