[ale] [OT] Date change proposal

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 15:39:21 EDT 2008

This may seem to come out of left field (as do many of my ideas...) but I
would like some feedback on a proposal to renumber the calendar year.

The current scheme is based on an event that is controversial and not
exactly well defined time-wise. Further is is oriented around a time period
that is longer than a solar year. Having the year numbering system based on
an event that is central to one religious culture denigrates all others.

I would like to propose a new calendaring scheme based around an event that
represents a human milestone achievement. Granted is tied to the
accomplishments of a single country but it is clearly a global, human event.

In 1969 of our current counting practice, humans first set foot on a
non-terrestrial object, the Moon.

Maybe I'm just a science nut but that is a milestone of human achievement
that would make a better marker for calendaring than a nebulous date range
of 32 years not well known in the past and not acceptable to some other
cultures.

James P. Kinney III