[ale] OT analog fax on comcast digital

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Aug 11 13:52:29 EDT 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> fax on a digital VOIP line is usually unreliable. Out-of-sequence
> voice packets are OK (and common) but that won't fly with fax
> transmissions. It _might_ work so just plug it into the "home phone"
> side of the access box and test it out.
If it fails then go to this site http://www.efax.com or get a real POTS
line at home.

I've been doing experiments with modems and Sipura ATA's and have had
pitiful luck.  I've go the ATAs at E-Deltacomm and am using a SIP trunk
for POTS conversion on the other side.  I can get connections at speeds
at and lower than 9600.  I can log into Linux.  My issue is with a lot
of data.  Xmodem fails every time.  Eventually the errors stop and then
the line drops.

--
Chris Fowler
OutPost Sentinel, LLC