[ale] Looking for advise on domain names and other info wrt local network.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 13:30:34 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:48 AM, JK <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:

> Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>
> >       I hope you appreciate the magnitude of the numbers here.  I
> remember
> > someone saying that if all the stars in this galaxy had one planet like
> > earth with the same population as the earth and you gave each person a
> > cell phone, you'd have enough addresses to give each cell phone a block
> > of addresses and still not run out.  I've never run those numbers down
> > but a single IPv6 subnet has 4 billion times as many addresses as the
> > entire IPv4 internet and each IPv6 network has 65,536 of those subnets.
> > There are other limits of scale (like the speed of light) which will
> > kick in long before those addresses become a problem.
>

> Another view of these numbers: at some point rather soon we may be
> confronted with the issue of how to address many many tiny entities
> (nanomachines etc).  The ip6 address space allows for 10^11 addresses
> per cubic millimeter of the Earth's biosphere from sea level to 10km;
> so assigning an ip6 to each nanite is a possibility. Getting the
> nanite overlords of one planet talking to those of another may
> require NAT, though.

Cool! I can have a valid address for every cell in my body! Then I can run
Microsoft Ultimate Home Subscriber  Planetwide Monitoring Server with DHS
Backlinking and then I can view in REAL-TIME the total degradation of my
sanity during an attempt to find something to watch on TV.

-sheesh!-

All that address space and we _still_ get wrestling on the Sci-Fi channel
and "reality" shows everywhere else.

Makes me miss "Mork and Mindy".

> (Back of the envelope calculation, YAddressCountMV, etc)
>
> -- JK
>
> --
> I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
>  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov

James P. Kinney III