[ale] Looking for advise on domain names and other info wrt local network.

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sun Aug 10 17:08:44 EDT 2008

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> why the .org?   If DNS isn't setup properly you could be querying
> other hosts to resolve localdomain.org.

No good reason other than I didn't know any better?  It hasn't given me
any trouble since dns is behaving.

>> In the postfix config I think I can change the domain name but I don't
>> see a way of fixing the user name.  I suppose I could change my local
>> domain to something that does exist and that I own.
>>
>> So what's a good solution for this problem?
>>

> In Postfix you want to enable the relocated users table.   See:
> http://www.postfix.com/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html#relocated
>
> -Jim P.

Thanks. But
" This table provides information on how to reach users that no longer
have an account, or what to do with mail for entire domains that no
longer exist. When mail is sent to an address that is listed in this
table, the message is returned to the sender with an informative
message. "
and
"As of Postfix version 2, mail for a relocated user will be rejected by
the SMTP server with the reason "user has moved to
otheruser at elsewhere.tld <mailto:otheruser at elsewhere.tld>".

Don't give me a warn and fuzzy feeling that it will solve the problem.

I don't want messages tossed.  :(

Jim.