[ale] Looking for advise on domain names and other info wrt local network.

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sun Aug 10 07:30:17 EDT 2008

Like many of you, I have a local network with a half dozen systems.  I
run a local bind server to make life a bit easier.  Arbitrarily I have
called my local domain, the unique and imaginative "localdomain.org".

I use Bellsouth and have configured my systems (or some of them) to use
mail.bellsouth.net as a smart host.  This works OK if I get all the
parts right.

However I know of some folks out there that are paranoid and check to
see if there really is a "jim at localdomain.org" and call it spam if you
don't exist.  The way I've got things set up, that's what From ends up as.

Now my email address at BS is k4gvo at bs.net (expand as needed) but I
use various local login ids, never k4gvo on my local servers.  I'd like
to see if I could make this whole mess a bit more standard, if that' s
possible.

In the postfix config I think I can change the domain name but I don't
see a way of fixing the user name.  I suppose I could change my local
domain to something that does exist and that I own.

So what's a good solution for this problem?

Thanks,
Jim.