[ale] cygwin security concerns under Windows?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Aug 7 14:46:10 EDT 2008

We're considering installing cygwin to run sshd on one of our Windows
production servers.

My co-worker seems to hate Cygwin for some reason so is throwing up
objections that aren't articulated very well.   Is there in fact any
reason that Cygwin sshd on Windows 2000 or 2003 would be more insecure
than sshd on a UNIX/Linux server?  Is Cygwin itself insecure?

Alternatively is there another way to achieve our purpose?  Our purpose
to kick off a cron script on one (Unix) server that would stop the
Windows server applications, UNIX server applications and separate UNIX
server database then restart them in reverse order.   My Windows admin
couldn't think of any tool I could interface natively with on Windows
that would allow a remote machine (even Windows) connect and do such
service stop in an automated fashion.