[ale] I'm starting to hate ATT

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Apr 30 14:23:19 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 13:47 -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I finally installed the router today to get the normal speed.  Well it
> seemed that I had to register via Internet Explorer at some site before
> the router would log into their DSL system.

	Strange...  I never had to do that.

> After about 2 hours of surfing I was greeted with this page

> http://support.opsdc.com/~cfowler/WTF.png

> Clicking disable took me to the router's summary page but it still would
> not allow me to browse anything.  I eventually clicked restart and I can
> browse again.  All other traffic like mail, ssh, etc worked fine.

	I've never run into this one either but I can take a pretty good guess
what it means.

	Gateways within gateways are generally not a problem, except in once
case.  If they are both trying to use the same private address space,
you may be in for troubled times.

	I know the Westel modems initially try to use 192.168.1.0/24.  If
you've got a wireless router or other NAT device that is ALSO trying to
use that address block, you're going to end up with address conflicts
and I think that's what that error screen is warning you about.

	I suspect what would happen if you had clicked on "resolve" is that it
would have searched for another private address subnet to use and
reconfigured the modem but that's kind of a WAG at this point.

	Are you running the modem in managed mode or bridged mode?  Managed
mode would be where it's handling the PPPoE session for you and you pull
and address via dhcp from the modem.  Bridge mode, you're expected to
handle the PPPoE session in your equipment and the dhcp addresses from
the modem only connect you to the modem's administrative interface.

	What model modem?  Are you configured for a static address?

> Chris

	Mike