[ale] High load averages with U 8.04

Jim Philips philips_jim at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 28 19:57:11 EDT 2008

On Monday 28 April 2008 04:35:46 pm Chris Fowler wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 16:30 -0400, Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> > I installed Heron in a VM on saturday, after the install It was
> > running
> > almost 100% continuously even if just sitting there at the desktop.
> > figured something was wrong with the installation or perhaps there
> > was
> > some kernel interaction with the VM host. But it really did feel
> > sluggish which is why I ran top.
>
> Maybe the Ubuntu guys figured that FireFox3B5 is good enough for
> "release" ?
>
> I'm seeing much CPU time used by Xorg.

They make it pretty damned difficult to do, but you can set Hardy Heron to use
Firefox 2.0. I discovered a few different pages and threads about the issue:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3091481.0

I am back to using Firefox 2.0, because practically all of my favorite addons
don't work under 3.0. I think it was a monumentally stupid move on the part
of Canonical to force 3.0 on Ubuntu users before it is ready for a final
release.