[ale] TiVo Issue

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Mon Apr 28 17:09:07 EDT 2008

Jeff Lightner wrote:

> I have a coworker who is having some issues with his TiVo. In the past
> I’ve seen folks here discuss TiVo so thought I’d throw it out to see
> if anyone has any ideas:
>
> Basic issue:
>
> Gets tuck at almost there. Just a few minutes more…
>
> Info about the TiVo Unit:
>
> Series 2 DVR
>
> 40 hours
>
> TiVo Model # TCD540040
>
> Approx. 3 years old

Given the age of the box, I'd just buy a new one and not worry about it
(or get a new one and contact TiVo and see how much it'd be to get the
thing fixed as second box for another TV).

I've got a Toshiba combo TiVo/DVD player of similar vintage and if/when
it goes belly-up (within the next few months by the way it's been
intermittently locking up, unfortunately . . .) that's what I'm
planning. Considering you can get a 2-tuner 80G model from TiVo for
~$100 now it doesn't make much sense to spend much more than that to
resuscitate one that's for most purposes obsolete (mind you if it's not
too much to get it working again I'm going the keep it for a secondary
TV route).